Map & Directions
If you have questions, please contact Summer, our reservation manager in the US at 831-246-4265 or firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be happy to help.
Below are some of the options to get to Copa De Arbol from the airport in San Jose. This information is intended to assist travelers that have booked complete packages as well as travelers who would like to build a custom itinerary. Please be sure to let us know which options you choose or any special needs that you may have so we can coordinate all the proper arrangements. It should be noted that the final approach for all arrivals to Copa De Arbol is by boat - we advise you to wear shoes which are easily removed, or are able to get wet.
For incoming international flights to San Jose, we advise that your arrival is no later than 8:30-9am in the high season (mid-November – April) in order to make the connecting domestic flights, and thus, the entire trip in one day. In the low season (May – November), the regional carriers do not offer as many options, and the ones they do are quite early in the morning, so it may require an overnight stay in San Jose. If you are unable to arrive early enough in high season, or are traveling during low season, we can offer San Jose hotel recommendations.
- The quickest way to get to Drake Bay from the airport in San Jose is by plane to either the Drake Bay or Palmar airstrips (approx. 40 minute flight). We recommend both Sansa (www.flysansa.com), and Nature Airlines (www.natureair.com). Sansa flies from a terminal right next door to the international airport, and is a great option if you have a tight connecting flight (Sansa is very convenient). Nature Air is located at Pavas airport, a 30 minute drive from the international terminal. We can arrange a private charter flight with Carmona Charters, an excellent way to avoid an overnight in San Jose or travel to or from another location in Costa Rica. Please inquire for availability and rates.
- From the Palmar airstrip: We will have our shuttle drive you the 15 minutes to the small river front town of Sierpe. From the dock, our private boat will take you down the stunning Sierpe mangrove estuary system where you may see crocodiles, exotic birds, and other wildlife. This river transfer is an amazing way to begin your trip. (However, it should be noted, that at times the boat ride through the river mouth can be quite challenging.) The Sierpe river empties into the Pacific ocean, and we are a short distance from the river mouth. Total travel time in the boat is approximately 1 hour.
- From the Drake Bay airstrip: We will have our shuttle pick you up at the airport for the 15 minute drive to the small town of Drake Bay. From there, it is a 5 minute boat transfer to Copa De Arbol.
- We can arrange a private charter flight with Carmona Charters, an excellent way to avoid an overnight in San Jose or travel to or from another location in Costa Rica. Please inquire for availability and rates.
- You can drive from San Jose to Sierpe where you can park your rental car in a secure lot for $6USD/day) This drive takes about 41/2 hours on well maintained roads. Guests that pre-arrange boat transport with us will be picked up by our private boat for the trip down the estuary to Copa De Arbol. A public shuttle boat is also available with two trips per day in each direction. Departures from Sierpe to Copa De Arbol are at 11:30. Departures from Copa De Arbol to Sierpe are at 7:30.
- We can also assist in arranging a private shuttle bus from anywhere in the country. We work with "Extreme Costa Rica Tours" for reliable and safe transportation services throughout the country. If you need lodging in Sierpe or San Jose please let us know and we can share some recommendations with you.
* Drake Bay Airport to Copa De Arbol: Pick up or drop off (taxi and boat) $40 per person each way
* Palmar Sur Airport to Copa De Arbol: Pick up or drop off (taxi and boat) $115 per person each way (2 person minimum)
* Sierpe to Copa De Arbol: Pick up or drop off (boat only) $90 per person each way. Includes a Sierpe mangrove guided tour, approximately 1.5 hours (2 person minimum)
* Domestic flight: Round trip San Jose to either Drake Bay Airport or Palmar Sur Airport $280 per person ($140.00 each way, this price may vary depending upon season)
* Private Charter flight with Carmona Charters, an excellent way to avoid an overnight in San Jose or travel to or from another location in Costa Rica. Please inquire for availability and rates.
* San Jose to Sierpe: pick up or drop off, with Extreme Costa Rica Tours up to 8 people $400 each way (Larger groups are no problem please contact us for more info)
* Please see the Transportation page for more information